Friday, September 2, 2011

Florida Gators 2011 Prediction

It's that time of year... COLLEGE FOOTBALL!

This year's Florida Gators are a virtual blank slate. With a new head coach, offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator and several assistants, no one actually knows what to expect. We know what we are hoping for, 14-0 and the national championship, but that feels as likely to happen as during the Ron Zook years. My realistic outlook is FAR less encouraging.

Quarterback John Brantley will be in his second year as a starter after last year's debacle of trying to make a pure pocket passer into a spread quarterback. The boos from the home crowd certainly must have messed with his head. Will Brantley developed into the quarterback he was touted to be coming out of high school? I'd love to say yes because he's such a nice kid but last year he looked like a freshman -- even on straight drop back plays -- and this year he might as well be since he's learning a whole new offense. Watch out for freshman hotshot Jeff Driskel to get a decent bit of playing time when possible this year. I have read a lot of good things about him.

The offensive line has a few new starters which is never good. Except maybe in this case! Luckily they all had playing time last year so it's not completely new to them. The Gators are still in search of playmakers out wide. Will Chris Rainey and Jeffrey Demps be as explosive running behind a fullback?

Their strength should definitely be the defense, particularly the defensive line. The Gators are switching to a 3-4 base which I really like, provided they can stop the run with only three down linemen. In recent years stopping the run with four down linemen seemed challenging enough. But this is where I think Will Muschamp will flex his muscle. There is big-time talent on the defensive line and Muschamp will make this unit shine.

The schedule this year is absolutely brutal for the Florida Gators. Playing in the SEC is bad enough but their opponents from the West this year include Alabama, @LSU and @Auburn. Not only are those 3 of the last 4 BCS Champions but those games are played in 3 consecutive weeks. October will be rough. Luckily the fourth game in October is only against Georgia, our longest standing rival. All of a sudden the 3 cupcakes on our schedule will be necessary just to make 6-6 achievable. Unfortunately, yes, that is my prediction for this year's team, 6-6. 7-5 isn't out of the question but I'm not sure where the seventh victory would come. POSSIBLY Georgia? The other two games that look like losses right now are @South Carolina and vs. Florida State. Blecch! I just threw up in my mouth.

I'm sure plenty of people think I'm a pessimist but it would take a great team to get through that with only two losses. After watching the first game last season against Miami University, I predicted a five loss season based on the pathetic play of the offense of line. I was right last year but I certainly hope I'm way off this year... but in a good direction!

Just Joe

1 comment:

  1. Yes it is indeed another sad year when the best team in the Sunshine State is FSU. Can they rehire Bobby Bowden?? Nevertheless, college football is back and along with that comes my excuse to why I am drinking beer at noon. Gators go 7-5... I think we beat Auburn, just basing that on the fact they lost Fairley in the draft and also that their offense was based on one 1 player who got kicked out of UF (what kind of an idiot steals things when he has a chance to go pro)... who ends up being the #1 pick.

    ReplyDelete