Friday, May 4, 2012

Martian Sunset

Well, I don't really have much to say but I came across this picture the other day. It was taken by a Mars rover and it's a picture of a sunset from Mars.

I suppose the first thing I noticed is how tiny the sun is -- well, looks. Sometimes you tend to forget the types of distances were dealing with when we talk about the planets. Sure, everyone knows that Earth is 93,000,000 miles away from the sun (on average). But Mars averages another 47,000,000 miles away from the sun making it look much, much smaller.

The next thing I noticed is the color. Sunsets on Mars tend to have a bluish hue due to the atmosphere. It almost makes me feel the frigidity.



I hope the picture sparks your imagination and wonderment as it does for me.


Just Joe

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding-ly beautiful and thought provoking. Love it!

    ReplyDelete