Friday, October 5, 2012

Florida Gators 2012 -- Week #4

Ok, I realize I'm way late on this one but the good news is that means I don't remember any details.

It is VERY difficult to complain about a 38-0 shutout of an SEC East team so I'll only point out that it was another slow start, just 3-0 after the 1st quarter. Recovering from a slow start against better and better teams will be increasingly difficult. I was happy to see Gillislee split time with the other RBs so he could rest his groin injury a bit. I was also glad to see a stout defense against Kentucky's terrible backup QB (3 more INTs). I might have liked to see Brissett a bit more but that's just me.

Tomorrow's game vs. (4)LSU (3:30 pm, CBS) should be a doozy! It's going to come down to the DL and whether or not it can hold up to LSU's rushing attack. In last year's 41-11 drubbing, LSU rushed 49 times and averaged 4.9 yards/rush! LSU will want to run the ball 50 times again but that can't be allowed to happen if the Gators stand a chance. How does one limit an opponent's rushing attempts? The best way is to keep the ball on offense (keeping the opp. offense off the field) and to score 7s instead of 3s (putting the opp. in a defecit where needing points quickly is a must). Another way to limit rushes is simply not allow yardage on those plays. Easy, right? :-) 

So with some luck, the Gators will run the ball enough to make play action effective, then convert every 3rd down chance. Full disclosure, I never pick against the Gators so if they ARE to win, I see a score like, 17-16.


Just Joe

1 comment:

  1. Yaaayyyy and whew... with only moments to spare before today's game! A true "close shave" one might say... kinda like the points they may have against LSU. : ))

    ReplyDelete