Sunday, October 2, 2011

The LFL

If you've been following along since May, you know that I'm a big fan of mixed martial arts. If there are 2 trained fighters going at it, I'm watching. Well, MTV2 broadcasts fights from a promotion called Bellator which is actually based up the road from me in Hollywood, Florida. A few months ago I was checking out MTV2 in hopes of seeing the week's fights. Unfortunately for me, there was no event that night.

Instead, the LFL All-Star Game was on. How ridiculous this must be! I've been shaking my head at the thought of this "league" for years now. "Well, as long as I'm here, I might as well watch a play or two," I convinced myself. I know, I know; sometimes I even disappoint myself. Anyway, after a couple of plays I realized that these players were really laying it all out there! Er, uh, so to speak. The quality of the football was -- I don't want to say "terrible" but it was probably 2 or 3 notches above some of my buddies and me playing in a field. There was one difference though, these players were really hitting! Their effort alone was impressive and I fear I may have underestimated these guys. Sure the quarterbacks threw like girls and some of the players even ran like girls, but what can you expect when you're watching The Lingerie Football League!

I know what you're thinking. Probably the same stuff I used to think. But these girls were WAY more athletic than I gave them credit for. And sure, they were in tiny outfits but they were more covered than you would see in an average 1980s beer commercial. And seriously, these girls were hitting hard! One team had a quarterback who was 6'2", 200 pounds. She was a running quarterback and when she got into the open field and had a full head of steam, yikes, I wouldn't jump in front of her with someone else's body! Yet along would come a tiny, little (relatively speaking) defensive back to take her head on and make the tackle. Sure, it looked more like the quarterback just got the smaller girl's corpse tangled in her feet, but she still went down.

So I ended up watching an entire half and came away with much more respect. I haven't watched a single down since then but I definitely encourage you to watch a few plays and see if you come away as impressed as I did. Who knows, maybe it will become your newest guilty pleasure.

Just Joe


NEXT WEEK:   Not Sure yet

No comments:

Post a Comment