Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Imaginary Friend

I'm sure that by reading the title you're probably thinking I'm going to discuss my imaginary friend from when I was a little kid. Surprise, surprise...

I was more than a little saddenned this past week when the trees and bushes in our yard were trimmed. It meant the death of my two week old imaginary friend. You see, when I sit up in bed and look out my bedroom doors, I see the reflection of a particular tree in the glass doors of the back patio. Well, the branches in one section of the tree began to look like a face. Not a human face though, more of a cartoony, caricaturey, monster face. Sort of a cross between Carol from Where the Wild Things Are and Junior Gorg from Fraggle Rock (If you get one of those references, we're cool. If you get them both, we are peeps). And although I never spoke to him and he never spoke to me, I did become accustomed to seeing him there. He wasn't quite a security blanket but he definitely became a friend. I just love it when I can share someone's company without having to talk all the time.

Godspeed, monster friend. I'll miss your puffy lips and kind eyes. But most of all I'll miss your comedically, bulbous nose. Who knows, maybe with a little luck you'll come back. I'd probably talk to you this time though so be sure to bring your ears!

Just Joe

1 comment:

  1. Very cool... here's to whatever shape comes to fill that spot as it grows back. : ))

    ReplyDelete