Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Miracle Fruit

I'm feeling pretty lazy this week so I'm just going to cite an online article that has all the information I was going to plagiarize anyway: The Miracle Fruit

Basically there is a fruit native to Western Africa that was "discovered" by Robert Harvey in the 1960s. The nearly olive sized, reddish fruit had a peculiar property in that after eating this fruit whatever was eaten next would taste much sweeter. The scientific explanation can be found here. The compound creating this effect, Miraculin, was isolated and reproduced. Foods could taste sweeter without the addition of sugar or sugar substitutes and without the addition of any calories! Some of the uses for the compound would be for the benefit of diabetics, cancer patients and people trying to lose weight. There were some pretty fishy goings-on that led to the compound being buried for quite some time. (This is the part of the article you really should read. Hopefully by only referring to the article, I won't be put on any government lists.)

On a brighter note, thanks to the 70s, "flavor tripping" parties became an underground success. People got together to eat the berries and then try out various normally sour or bitter foods to play with different flavor combinations. YouTube is littered with videos of modern parties as they seem to be regaining popularity. The most common reaction to a lemon, for instance, is that it tastes like lemonade. Followed closely by, "This is the best lemon I've ever had!"

Well, look at that, I guess I didn't feel quite as lazy as I thought. But this really is only the very short version.

********* SPOILER ALERT **************

Although Miraculin has not been approved as a food additive or artificial sweetening agent and is therefore not found in commercial food products, since the publishing of that article, freeze-dried miracle fruit, pill forms and powder forms of Miraculin can be purchased.

Just Joe


NEXT WEEK:  An MMA Fan's Frustration

2 comments:

  1. There's a candy called Frooties, which uses this ingredient. They are very popular among radiation patients in Sydney, since they mask the intense metallic taste that is a bi-product of the therapy. I only know of this through folks in Australia. I've never heard or read a discussion about it until your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a perfect use. I guess those Aussies know a thing or two! :-) I only happened across this because my mom bought a miracle fruit plant at a plant fair recently... flavor party, anyone?!

    ReplyDelete