Sunday, August 14, 2011

Two Very Different Things

A few weeks ago I was watching the remake of "The Karate Kid." It was a nice little movie but, of course, it couldn't match the original. Whenever something strikes you emotionally as a kid, it's hard to match as an adult... especially when the "karate" kid is actually learning kung fu. But I digress. There was a quote in the movie that made me mentally high-five myself. When I first heard it I was pretty sure it must have come from some ancient Eastern philosopher because it was so simple and true yet seemingly unconventional.
Now, being an introvert I find that I often need alone time with my thoughts, especially if I've been around a group of people for any length of time. But over the years I've realized that this alone time is WAY different than the alone time I spend just being lazy and doing nothing.

Okay, back to the movie. Jackie Chan's character, Mr. Han, was pointing out to student Dre a woman who was holding a difficult and awkward looking pose while a cobra sat coiled just a foot or two away from her face.  When asked if he saw what the woman was doing, Dre answered, "she isn't doing anything." After explaining how the woman was connecting with the Chi ("life force") around her, Mr. Han succinctly summarized his correction into one, ten word sentence.

"Wow, that totally has to be Confuscious or Buddha," I thought. After many web searches I could not find the quote attributed to any source other than the movie. So congrats to either Christopher Murphy (screenplay) or Robert Mark Kamen (story), the writer of:

"Being still and doing nothing are two very different things."

Just Joe


NEXT WEEK:  Young vs. Old

No comments:

Post a Comment