Sunday, August 21, 2011

Young vs. Old

Going to the grocery store with my mom is pretty routine; enter through the front doors, start off to the right towards the deli, then the bakery, then produce and up and down each necessary aisle. She goes through the checkout line while I wait up front for her -- since it gives me the opportunity to people watch. Then a bagger helps us to the van, helps unload and then receives his or her two dollar tip.

This week I noticed a little play that made me chuckle:

My mom was checking out and a young man, probably 20 years old or so, who I didn't recognize was bagging her groceries. Of course the bagger was chatting with the cashier while he worked. Meanwhile an older gentleman, probably 65 years old or so, who has helped us before came over and also started bagging my mom's groceries. By this point it looked more like the young bagger was closer to flirting with the cashier than just talking. Slowly the older bagger began to take control of the bagging situation and the young guy just sort of stepped aside and continued flirting. Now, I can't say for sure what the older man's motivation was but I'm guessing it was the $2 because, well, frankly, it helps my story.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty neat display of a young man's attitude versus an experienced man's attitude. While the young man would rather flirt with a gal, the experienced man swoops in, works just a wee bit harder and earns an extra two bucks. I know, I know, it's two bucks. But it beats earning zero extra dollars just standing around, right? To me, it sounds like a modern day fable by Aesop. Maybe I should change the main characters to sheep or foxes?

Just Joe


NEXT WEEK:  LFL

No comments:

Post a Comment